Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It's been an age.

It's been an age, it seems, since I last posted. I don't really have much of an excuse - I mean, I had a vicious cold the week before last that kept me home from work for 3 days. But that's all I've got to say for myself. I've been making a point of going to the gym every day, but that's only an hour or so a day and you'd think I could manage a blog post sometime in the remaining 23 hours.


In that time I did manage to finish the socks for my boss' retirement. They're the Milo sock, designed by CookieA, knit from Punta Yarns Merisock handpainted. After my blunder at the beginning, I was able to regroup and start over from the beginning. By the time I got to my third sick day, I had turned the heel and I felt like I coasted right through the foot to the end. I gave them to my boss yesterday, even though he doesn't officially retire for another six weeks. It will be nice for him to get to wear them while it's still kind of cold. (Even though I wear merino wool socks year-round.)


Since that project's finished, I cast on for another pair of socks: Sandi Rosner's Hummingbird from Clara Parke's book Knitters Book of Socks. I'm knitting these for a friend who likes blues and greens, so I'm using Scholeller+Stahl's Fortissima Sock yarn, which was acquired from a swap I did a year ago (Thanks, Corrinne!). I can't believe it's taken me so long to knit up this yarn! Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how the faux Fair Isle coloring of the yarn works with the lace patterning on the sock.


Another thing I've decided I want to do is to work up some charts for the color work from the Muslim textile book I wrote about in my last post. I think it would be fund to see if I could re-create a few of those items, or at the very least, design something inspired by the charts. I'm still very impressed by the skills of those ancient knitters. I'm not sure I'm willing to knit to such fine gauge, but I think many of those patterns could work well for a pillow or similar item.

Well, it looks like that's all I've got for tonight. Until next time, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment