Sunday, August 12, 2012

It's Kentucky State Fair Time Again!


Today was the last day to submit items for judging in the State Fair, so my friend Amy & I went out to the fairgrounds to join the hundreds of people who had pretty things to enter. Since the textiles drop off was at the farthest end of the building, we had ample opportunity to see all the other things that people were bringing in: paintings, baked goods, woodworking, and quilts. What I really need to do is get to know the wine and beer makers. Those would be good people to know I think. I might even be willing to offer to be a quality control inspector for them.


Anyway, I had 4 items to enter in the Fair: the Lilleput cardigan, the Lotus socks, the Glacier gloves, and the Raindance sweater. I had intended to enter the Hydrangea bag, but I still haven't done the sewing. (I really need to get on that - I'm tired of seeing it as a WIP on my projects page.)


But now that the Fair knitting is done, I'm finally able to start a project that I can work on at a leisurely pace. I've had my eye on Zori since I saw it in Twist Collective last fall. I knew it was going to involve a substantial amount of yarn, and I wasn't really sure that I wanted to knit it in the specified yarn. I guess it was lucky, then, that I got to use an unfamiliar yarn for the sample knitting I did this summer, which also happened to be spun at Stonehedge Fiber Mill near my family's summer place in Michigan. I got a whole bunch of the DK-weight (but not enough - I have to get at least two more skeins) and I finally cast on last night.


The sweater has unusual construction, which seems to be the only kind of sweaters I want to knit lately. The yoke is knit side-to-side, with a pretty all-over cabled pattern. Once that's done, the sleeves and the bodice are knit from picked-up stitches. I'm already pleased with the stitch definition I'm getting from the Shepherd's Wool: the cable work is standing out beautifully and will only get better once it's blocked. This may not be such a leisurely project after all.

Well, that's all I've got for this time. Until next time, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment