Monday, May 2, 2011

As the Heel Turns

According to my Ravelry project page, I have been working on my Vacation socks for exactly two weeks now. For a multitude of reasons, I've been making fast work of these socks. A big part of it was having something like 4 hours in the car on Easter Sunday to work on them. Then there was the all-day Vacant Property Summit, which gave me plenty of time to knit while the speakers were speaking. And then there's been all the rain we've been having lately. It's the coldest, wettest Spring I can remember, which has been conducive to my knitting.


Anyway, I've turned the heel on the socks and have completed one chart repeat, with one to go. I may be cutting it a little close on the yardage, as this sock is 78 stitches around. I think I'll end up making these socks for my mom, who is so kind as to have size 7 feet, which are shorter than my own size 8.5 feet. This will save me about ... 3/4 of an inch in length. Still, it's shorter, so I might just make it with the yarn I've got. I don't really have much choice in the matter, as my LYS has closed, so I would have to look very hard to get more of the same yarn. If worse comes to worst, I'll make the toe a different color and keep them for myself. Mom won't care much for accidentally bi-colored socks.


If all goes well this week, I might be able to finish these socks and start on a State Fair project. I'm thinking I want to enter a few more categories this year than the three I entered last year. I have completed a couple projects that I think will be good for the Fair, but I'm not telling what they are just yet. Last year I got a Second, a Third, and a Fourth and this year I'd like to get at least one first. Some categories, I think, will be very competitive: Lace, Socks, Baby Sweaters. It was in Socks that I got a Third Place, behind a pair of child's kilt socks and a pair of stranded Wollmeise Wallflowers (made by a friend, which made it slightly less disappointing). Friends of mine went 1-2 in Lace, and if anyone else I know enters their work, I don't have a snowball's chance in hell at doing well in that category. And, seriously, the Baby Sweater category is so full of the cute, that I'll have to bring out the big guns to do well. Last year's winner made a freaking Fair Isle baby sweater.


I think that's all the strategizing I can do in one post. Until next time, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment