Monday, March 5, 2012

Seeing the bigger picture


Sometimes it takes seeing a photograph of my knitting to realize that I haven't noticed something. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe it's getting the project into a frame that makes me notice something new. Or maybe it's that I've held the camera farther away from the project than I hold it as I'm knitting it. But anyway, today, after I photographed the Prana socks, I noticed that the colors were variegating differently one from the other. One sock has a wider spiral of bright color while the other seems to be much darker with a narrow spiral of bright. I haven't noticed this as I've been knitting them, probably because I've been paying more attention to the stitch pattern than the color.


I don't think the intended recipient of these socks will mind - I mean, if it was up to her, both socks would have the wide bright stripe, but I'm sure she'll like them anyway. The variegation adds to the uniqueness of the socks, and she's a pretty unique girl herself.


The socks are knitting up quickly. I've already completed the feet, and since there are no heels to turn, I'm ready to get going on the legs. I'm pretty sure they'll go quickly too.


I've also made some progress on the Chawton Mittens. I've gotten through 15 rounds of the chart and have found that the stranded knitting isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. It is a little tedious, but nothing I can't get through. The yarn I'm using is producing very distinct stitches that I'm not sure I like. I think I might have preferred a fuzzier yarn, but maybe they fill out a little once they've been washed. I do like that the yarn is superwash, which is a plus for mittens. We'll see how they go.

That's all I have for now. Until next time, Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment