Thursday, March 1, 2012

So much sock yarn

It could be said that I have a lot of sock yarn. I don't have as much as a lot of people, but I have enough to keep me knitting socks for the rest of the year before I had to buy more. But sometimes I want to knit something other than socks, so it was nice to stumble upon the pattern for Chawton Mittens. This pattern was published in Interweave Knits' Jane Austen Knits special issue magazine that came out last fall. I'm not sure why the mittens didn't really catch my eye the first time I saw them, but when the photo turned up in my email last week, I decided that I'd like to knit them.


As it turns out, I happened to have some yarn in my stash that would be appropriate for these mittens: it was the right weight, the right yardage and the right colors. I even had the right size needles! Well, duh, I have three of the right size needles, five if you include double points. Anyway, this seemed like a no-brainer. I already had the pattern, I had the yarn and I had the needles. But of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I decided that I had to knit these mittens two-at-a-time. This is stranded knitting we're talking about here. I haven't really done that much stranded knitting (one pair of socks, I think), so this will definitely be a challenge. I've managed to complete three color work rounds so far. It's been a bit slower than I usually work, but I think it will be fine. Since this project will require a measure of focus, I'll keep it at home. It's definitely not for social knitting situations.


For knitting with friends, I have another project, the Prana socks by Cirilia Rose in Clara Parkes' Knitters Book of Socks. These are yoga socks I'm knitting for one of AmeriCorps volunteers. She's just started doing yoga and found that she really likes it. I'm knitting them from some Claudia Hand Painted that I bought early last summer when I was visiting my hometown. The colorway is called Zebra, but I have no earthly idea why. The colors are cobalt blue, electric green and some purple with some browns and greys and are pooling in a really interesting way. I have modified this pattern as well: I'm knitting them from the foot up, as the two skeins of Claudia are only 350 yards and the pattern calls for 420 yards or so. I'll just knit as far as I can on the legs before I run out of yarn. This pattern is proving to be easy to memorize, so they're perfect for knitting in public.

Well, that's it for tonight, y'all. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment