Monday, September 3, 2012

Zori Cardigan

For the last few posts, I've said that I'd talk about my Zori cardigan in my next post, so I'm finally getting around to it. According to my Ravelry project page, I started this cardigan a little more than three weeks ago. I'm using Stonehedge Fiber Mill's Shepherd's Wool dk yarn, which I first got to use on the Dome hat sample for CookieA. The color is called Frosty Blue, and it's a medium-darkish blue that almost looks heathered, but isn't quite.

Anyway, I started off worried that I wouldn't have enough yarn, as I'd only bought about 1700 yards, while the pattern said I'd need need about 200 yards more. I decided to take my chances and see how I was doing with the sleeves before I ordered more. I was feeling lucky since I got gauge with my first swatch, but then I quickly felt like an idiot because I couldn't figure out how to make the stitch count work with the chart. But (luckily) the designer responded quickly to a message sent on Ravelry, spelling out how the chart worked. You'd think I'd know how to read a chart by now, but I cast on for this project pretty late at night, so I have to account for my tired brain.

Once I got the hang of the chart, I zipped right along with the back and both front yokes and was able to get them blocked about a week after I cast on. I had to block pretty aggressively to achieve the measurements on the pattern, but the nice thing about these pieces is that they had straight sides so that I could use my blocking wires rather than trying to pin it out. Once everything was dry, the only seaming I had to do was for the two shoulders (which was hardly anything at all) and then pick up stitches for the stockinette bodice. By the end of another week, I'd knit the bodice to the prescribed length, but found that it was much too long, even with my long torso. I ripped out four inches and bound off again, ready to start the pretty, twisted trim edging. After a couple false starts with the trim, I eventually found my groove, and the edging practically flew off my needles.

Now I'm working on the sleeves, which I'm doing two at a time, magic loop style. It feels a little bulky when I have to turn the knitting, but I've never been the kind of knitter to do things one at a time if I can help it. Socks, gloves, mittens, sleeves: if there are two to be made, I'll do them at the same time, dammit. As of this afternoon, I've gotten about 3 inches of each sleeve completed and I hope that I'll be binding them off by next weekend. I don't expect it will be cool enough to wear this for at least another month, but it'll be nice to have a new cardigan to wear when it is.

Well, that's all for now. Until next time, Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment