Wednesday, September 7, 2011

And the WIPs just keep comin'

I can't stop casting on. It's out of control. Since my last post, I've cast on for a sweater vest for one of my brothers-in-law, another baby blanket square, and a child's hat. I think this bout of start-itis may nearly have run its course, although I can't be sure; this change in the weather makes me want to make even more stuff. I was thinking about some gloves, but maybe that can wait.

The vest is Schmidt, which I've knit once before. This time I'm using a cable pattern from Barbara Walker's Fourth Treasury up the center, rather than the argyle specified in the pattern. I'm using the same yarn as last time, Nashua's Creative Focus Worsted, a nice, soft yarn, kind of roving-like, that knits up into a lovely fabric. It doesn't do stitch definition especially well, so for the cables I'm making a point of twisting all the knit stitches. If we rate the yarn by how much my cat likes it, it's as good as cashmere, but not as nice as mink.


The child's hat is another experiment in knitting intarsia in the round, a technique that one of my friends really wanted me to show her. In preparation for sharing the technique with her, I grabbed some worsted remnants from my stash to see how they'd do. I think it will be a nice little hat - I have no idea what child will receive it. Maybe I'll give it to one of my nephews for Christmas, or give it to a friend who has a little boy.


The blanket square is another that probably has to stay secret. I'm taking pictures now, in the hope that I'll remember to post them after the blankets have been given to their recipients. It's knit from some slightly-larger-than-worsted superwash yarn I had in my stash, so it should be easy for the moms to care for.

In other news, I have actually finished my Peasy cardigan. It's been washed and blocked; now it just needs to be photographed. I'll be wearing it to Stitch 'n' Bitch tomorrow night, so I'll have my buddies take pictures of me wearing it so you all can see. Then I'll have an actual finished project to put up on Friday. Whee!

That's about all I've got for tonight. Until next time, Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment