Sunday, April 3, 2011

Craft Time.

Well, here we are, at the end of Knit & Crochet Blog Week (2KCBWDAY7), and I've done every post! It wasn't nearly so difficult as I thought. There was a minute or two of nerves at the beginning, but I seem to have been able to plod along and complete the week's challenge.


I knit at every opportunity. It seems that every moment is occupied, which may be why my friends think I'm such a fast knitter. I'm not fast so much as persistent. Knitting was a hobby I picked up after I quit smoking, to give my hands something to do and to keep me from stuffing my face non-stop. It's been 10 years or so by now.


My first knitting opportunity of the day is usually my bus ride to work. I knit on the ride home as well, which gives me about 70 minutes every day to knit on whichever portable project I've got on the needles. Most of the time it's socks, occasionally a hat or scarf. The important thing is that the project is small, as the bus is almost always pretty crowded on the way in and I rarely have a seat to myself.


Depending on what's going on at work that day, my next opportunity to get a few rows in is a staff meeting (although this is a photo of my workstation, I don't actually get to knit at my desk). Our weekly meeting usually lasts an hour or so, so there's even more progress! I find that I'm much better able to listen to and comprehend what's going on when my hands are occupied with my knitting. I feel like I'm a lot less restless and it keeps me from doodling the meeting away. If I don't happen to have a meeting, I regularly have found knitting time when I have to pull a building permit, which is a time-consuming part of my job. Sometimes I can't complete this task in under 90 minutes, but if any of the plan reviewers are out of the office, it can take as long as 2-2.5 hours to get a permit. I can put some hurt on a ball of yarn in this amount of time.


Most afternoons I hang out at my LYS (whose blog I got this photo from) after work. I usually get there an hour and a half before the store closes for the day. It's nice to be around people who share this hobby, as well as see what kinds of interesting things they're working on. The folks at the Knit Nook have many talents - so many of them make gorgeous sweaters for themselves, and are pretty skilled at lacework too. My strength is probably socks, but it might be because I've done so many: last year I knit 14 pairs. Thursday nights are Stitch 'N' Bitch night, when I hang out until 9PM. I don't usually get there until 7 o'clock or so, and have a great time catching up with the people I don't usually see the rest of the week.

So, you see, I get many opportunities every week to knit. Some might say too many opportunities, but I'll take them as they come. Thanks so much for reading - I'm not sure that I can maintain the pace of this week's posts, but Knit & Crochet Blog Week has given me many ideas for the blog and I can't wait to try them out! Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment