Thursday, March 10, 2011

My name is Sharri, and I'm addicted to yarn.

So, I might have mentioned before that my LYS is closing. Going out of business. Probably forever. I have heard that there have been casual inquiries from strangers that they're interested in buying the business. But even if the shop is sold, it will be in a new location, since the lease has expired on the current location. I have a very small hope that the shop might re-open in the neighborhood under new management, but I don't want to get my hopes up. It makes me sad. And being sad is not fun.

Sometimes I think I'll feel better if I buy more yarn. (Honey, if you're reading this, you might want to stop right about now.) It helps the LYS get out of the red. I get stamps on my Frequent Buyer card (which are good until April 30). And I get yarn. At a discount. Like 20% on yarn and 50% on books. Really, can you blame me?

Here's one of the yarns I've bought recently: Brown Sheep Legacy Lace. 1500 yard of washable merino and nylon. I don't have a specific project in mind for it, but I've been exploring the idea of knitting up something intricate & epic, then hand painting some color on it. Or I might make a monster of an Estonian lace shawl. I might be scaring myself a little.

Another of the yarns from the sale: Punta Yarns Merisock Handpainted. Mmm, pretty. I've said before that I'm easily seduced by handpainted yarn, and this one made me bring it back to my place for a little heavy petting. I haven't yet started hooking for these yarns, but I'm thinking really hard about what I might be willing to do without to get my hands on some Knitivity hand dyed. Soon, baby, soon.

The last of my recent acquisitions is Berroco Sox Metallic, which is a variegated yarn with sparkly bits in it. It's not something I would normally have considered, but with the sale, and the knowing that there won't be any more, and the sale, I bought it. I will eventually knit it up. I'm not sure when, but I'll get there. Not long ago, I counted up my sock yarn and found that I had so little, I could only make 4 pairs. As of tonight, my Ravelry stash shows that I'm up to enough for 12 pairs. Whew. That was a close one.

In actual knitting (as opposed to potential knitting, which is what stash really is), I have finished the knitting on the Veronica sweater. All that's left is the seaming and the collar, which will likely happen tomorrow night. The Lotus socks continue on, slowly, as I've been working on the sweater. I think my next big needle project will be a pillow cover, to go with the Umaro blanket in the basement. The cat likes that yarn so well, that I thought it would be nice for him to have something snuggle on that won't be entered in the Fair. I just have to find the appropriate stitch pattern that can coordinate with Umaro, but distinguish itself from it. This will require some thought.

Well, that's all for now. We'll be painting some more on Monday, but I hope to be able to post photos of the completed Veronica, sewn and blocked. 'Til next time, then.

1 comment:

  1. You know, you don't have to *singlehandedly* keep the place in business. I know you've been trying.

    ReplyDelete