Monday, June 6, 2011

Hydrangeas!

I'm a little light on the knitting photos today, since I pretty much showed everything I'd finished last time. So here are some pics of my hydrangeas. They're pretty.


All the rain we've had this spring has pretty much set the plants growing and blooming like crazy. Weeds, too. I'm ashamed to admit that I pulled nary a weed while I was on vacation last week. I thought about it plenty, but in between the sleeping in and sitting around, I never really got to it. The area around the hydrangeas looks pretty good, though I suspect it's because my neighbor on that side can't abide a weed, so she's kept up with them.


I haven't decided if I want to cut any of them to bring inside - they look really nice as they are. But they would definitely add a spot of bright color on our lonely dining room table.


In knitting news, I've cast on for CookieA's Kristi socks. Actually, I've cast on twice. I'm that good at reading directions. Turns out that reading for comprehension, rather than skimming through the pattern, makes for successful projects. I've completed exactly 1" of the cuff and I might get through a couple rounds of the leg chart tonight. Aside from my own idiocy, this looks to be a fairly challenging pattern, and one that I can't really do two-at-a-time. I did it for the cuffs, but the leg charts are different for the right and left legs, so I'll knit the legs individually, then turn the heels together before working the feet individually.


I like the way the yarn, Classic Elite's Summer Sox, is knitting up. The yarn is 40% wool, 40% cotton and 20% nylon, with a nice, tight twist. It has a nice springiness to it which gives a good definition to the stitches. I also like the mottled nature of it as it knits up because it keeps the color from looking too two-dimensional. I think you get a little hint of it in the photos.


That's just about all I've got for tonight, but it's about a month before the deadline to send in my entry form for the Kentucky State Fair. I'm not sure how many items I'm going to enter, but I need to start looking pretty hard at the categories. It's also less than two months until Sock Summit, so I expect my next few posts will be about that as well. Hope all is well where you are. Until next time, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment