Sunday, January 22, 2012

I can never do things the easy way.

Take these socks for example. They're supposed to be CookieA's Milo, knit from Punta Yarns Merisock Handpainted. They're supposed to have a 78-stitch leg, mostly ribbed, with a cabled "X&O" going down the back of the leg.

54 does not equal 39.

What I've got is a 108-stitch leg, with 6 cabled "X&O" sections going all around. It might have something to do with my tendency to make things harder than they need to be. I'm pretty sure the chart was clear - I just assumed that there was a mistake and I was supposed to repeat the whole thing, not just the last four stitches. Had I paid the least bit of attention, I could have done the math and realized that 72+6=78 and that 72+36=108. Not only did I increase too many times, I also made myself do 10 more cable crossings than what was required. And I didn't have a cable needle when I did it, so I had to improvise. I made a simple sock cuff much more labor-intensive than it needed to be.

This one has the right number of stitches. And ribbing.

And the worst of it is that I have already knit this pattern once, so you'd think I would remember what I did last time. Nope. It's just so sad! There's not much point in having a great pattern if you're not going to follow the damned thing. I'm almost ready to rip them out and start over, and I'll probably do it tonight while I watch Downton Abbey. I think it's all I'm good for while that show is on. The last time I tried to knit during the show, I ended up with uneven toe decreases and socks an inch too short for my husband to wear.

So next time I hope I have better things to say about these socks. Until then, Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment