I finished my Vilai socks yesterday, even weaving in the ends and getting them washed and blocked! They've turned out to be lovely socks; the colors are beautiful and the yarn softened up nicely after washing. I made them in US size 6, since my mom convinced me that her friend would really like to have a pair of handknit socks. It worked out alright for me, as I was getting a little bored with the pattern and was glad to be able to finish up with such a tiny, little foot.
I've also made some progress on the mosaic cat, getting the face filled in. It's a curious process, this mosaic-by-numbers. Applying the braid and the sequins was pretty easy, but filling in the large spaces with little bits of broken glass has been a little tricky. Part of it might be because the bottle of glue I'm using has a little bitty hole for the glue to come out that gets clogged up fairly easily. For a while there, I had to squeeze really hard with both hands just to get a pea-sized bit of glue. Once I went after the nozzle with a t-pin, I was able to clear out the clogs and get nice smooth lines of glue. The other reason it's tricky is that I have to spread the glue evenly, then hope that I get the glass spread evenly, so that it all adheres. If you look at the close-up, you can see a few bare spots that I'll have to fill piece by piece. I think once I clean up the places where the glass is covering the braid, the cat will look pretty cool.
Well, that's all for now - I'm headed out to meet some friends for knitting at a local coffeeshop. Until next time, Friends!