Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Making Lemonade.

You know that tired old saying, "When life hands you lemons..." Well, since it's the New Year, I thought it would be good if I finished some things and so last night I decided that I'd continue with my Hydrangea bag. I'd made a supply run to Joann's a few days before Christmas, so I had all the bits and pieces that I needed to complete the bag. I got my sewing machine threaded and bobbined so I could put on the zipper, and whaddya know? No freaking zipper foot. I looked all over the place and couldn't find it. I looked for it again this afternoon. No dice.

So I did what any crafter in my position would do: I started a new project.


This new project is not knitting; it's a sort of glue-by-numbers thing I found a couple years ago at an antique mall. It's a General Crafts Picturesque. "The elegant mosaic to make by number," as the brochure that came with it says. I looked all over the place, trying to find a date to clue me in about when this kit might have been produced, and finally found it in the corner: 1969. The mosaic I'm working on is a black cat, long and stylized. The eyes have a big gold paiette and a turquoise teardrop-shaped jewel. The cat's collar is 4 pieces of turquoise glass tiles. Then there's pink glass and black glass for the mosaic bits and gold braid and black braid to establish the lines. It screams retro. I made pretty good progress on it tonight, and though I probably get back to it until the weekend, I think I can have it finished within a week.


The funny thing about this mosaic is that I actually already have a finished one that I found at a shop in Red Key, Indiana. It's a really small town: I think there was maybe a flashing red light at the four-way stop, but it might have actually been before you got into town. Anyway, the finished one is a golden peacock, also long and stylized. The nice thing about having the catalog of all the different kits is that I can see that each of the two projects I have has a mate, which I kind of feel like I want to look for. I have no idea if I'll find them, but I may just start keeping an eye out for them.


That's all I have for tonight. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment