Friday, February 18, 2011

The deep end of the pool

I really like variegated yarns. They're so beautiful, all twisty in their hanks. They even look good wound into a center-pull ball. Lovely. I keep buying these gorgeous yarns, even though there's a probability that they'll pool. For example, this pretty skein of Classic Elite Alpaca Sox


became this terribly pooled pair of Elfine's Socks:


And these two irresistible skeins of Shibuiknits Staccato





Became this pair of slightly-less-badly-pooled-but-not-as-stripey-as-I-wanted Sunshine socks:

 So, you can imagine my disappointment when, after turning the heel of the Milo socks, I got this on the foot:

It's not terrible, but certainly not as nice as the random bits of color that make the leg of this sock look so attractive. Don't get me wrong, I still love these socks. It's just one of those things. I am very happy at how well they fit the husbeast: just short enough that there's a little bit of stretch and that the heel fits snugly. The leg looks great, and I love the little X's & O's going up the back.


I'm also glad to have finished these socks, as I'm ready to go on to the next ones. I haven't decided on a pattern - I have a few in my Ravelry queue, but Lotus & It's Tea Time are the current favorites.


Progress continues on the Umaro blanket, although I don't have any updated project pics. I've gotten 4 chart repeats completed, with two and a half remaining. I still like the scale of the pattern and I love how the edge stitches are looking - I'm slipping the first stitch of every row. I'll probably have a few balls of the Lana Grande leftover once the project's complete, so I'll be looking for a little project that wants big yarn. What fun! Even though it can be a time-suck sifting through all the pattern pages on Ravelry, it's a pleasant way to spend a few hours.

That's all I've got for now. I have a busy weekend to prepare for, with a bunch of Knit Nookers coming over for craft day. Until next time, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment