Thursday, February 3, 2011

Our Basement is Cold.

How cold is it? It's so cold, my husband wears his fleece jacket & hat when he's there. It's so cold, we switched to powdered laundry detergent, because the liquid stuff barely poured. It's so cold, the Wii Fit shivers. Okay, so I made up that last one, but, seriously, it's really freaking cold down there. It might have something to do with the perimeter of the house being uninsulated (it's an old house). Or that the basement windows are drafty as all get out. Whatever. It's cold.



Since it's so cold down there, I decided that we needed a really warm afghan to snuggle under. You see, the basement is where the big TV is, and if I want to be able to read the subtitles when I'm watching The First 48 (don't you judge me), that's where I need to be.

Enter Jared Flood. (And, Jared, if you ever see this, you're totally welcome to come visit. If you happen to be in town, let me know. We have a guest room & a sleeper sofa. And bourbon.) As soon as I saw his Umaro pattern, I knew I had to make it. Nevermind that it calls for size 15 needles or 13 skeins of super bulky yarn. This blankie had to be mine. Thanks to my friends at The Knit Nook, I was able to special-order the yarn and I cast on a few days ago.


Since Monday, those three balls of yarn have become this:


This pattern is beautifully written and charted. I was able to get into a groove very quickly, and it seems like the stitches just about make themselves. Even after just this little bit, it's keeping my lap nice & cozy as I progress. The yarn, Cascade Lana Grande, is soft & squishy - and apparently irresistable to cats. Here's my cat, Louie, diving into my knitting bag:


I don't what it is about this yarn, but I think he is compelled to rub his face all over it. So enthusiastically that there was actual cat drool on it. I even began to worry that he would somehow felt the blanket and the yarn in the ball. It's nuts. In the past his taste has been for alpaca & cashmere. I'm pretty surprised at how ape-y he went for the 100% Peruvian Highland Wool. I don't think I'll ever understand the feline mind.

Aside from the new blankie, I've made modest progress on the Milo socks. No pictures, since it's only about an inch since the last photo I published. I'm also about to start some charity knitting, for Save The Children's Caps for Good program. It looks like they're looking for 12" diameter caps for newborn health programs in Africa, Asia & South America. The deadline is February 28, so there isn't much time. I'll knit up as many as I can and send them off. I couldn't find out whether that deadline is for shipping or arrival, but I'll do my best to get them there in time. I have lots of superwash merino that would love to warm the head of a newborn!

Well, I guess that's all for now. Stay warm, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment